- BSc (First Class Hons, Environmental Science). University of Canterbury, 2003
Role at Cawthron
Joe is a senior scientist and project manager in the Coastal and Freshwater Group. He is involved in a range of freshwater management projects, with a focus on in-stream flow assessments and freshwater fishery management. His expertise in this area relates to the general ecology and distribution of freshwater fish, hydraulic habitat modelling, fish passage and fish screening.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Ecology of freshwater ecosystems and the consequences of human modification
- Extensive experience with the Resource Management Act, preparing documents to support consent processes, peer reviewing assessments of environmental effects and preparing the giving of evidence at council consent hearings
- In-stream habitat and flow modelling, using in-stream flow incremental methodology (IFIM), including 1D (RHYHABSIM) and 2D modelling (River2D)
- Native fish ecology and distribution
- Fish passage and fish screening
- New Zealand Freshwater Sciences Society
- New Zealand Ecological Society
- Hayes JW, Goodwin E, Shearer KA, Hay J and Kelly L 2016. Can WUA correctly predict the flow requirements of drift-feeding trout. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. Volume 145, Issue 3, 2016. Pages 589-609.
- Hayes JW, Hay J, Maxwell I and Quarterman A 2015. Estimating trout abundance with cataraft-mounted dual-frequency identification sonar: a comparison with drift diving. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 35: Pages 528-536.
- Hayes JW, Hay J, Goodwin E, Hughes N and Kelly L 2014. Invertebrate drift and salmonid foraging models.
- Hayes JW, Shearer KA, Goodwin E, Hay J, Allen CA, Olsen DA and Jowett IG 2014. Test of a benthic macroinvertebrate habitat – flow time series model incorporating disturbance and recovery processes. Rivers, Research and Applications. Article first published online: 14 May 2014.
- Clapcott JE and Hay J 2014. Recommended water quality standards for Marlborough regional plan update. Prepared for Marlborough District Council.
- Hay J and Kitson J 2013. Flow harvesting: A review of policy and potential effects. Cawthron Report 2408. Prepared for Environment Southland.
- Young RG, Allen C, Shearer KA, Doehring KAM, Berkett N, Holmes R and Hay J 2013. Ruataniwha water storage scheme - Aquatic ecology assessment of effects. Prepared for Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company Limited. Cawthron Report 2307. 195 pages plus appendices.
- Doehring KAM, Young RG, Hay J and Quarterman A 2011. Suitability of Dual-frequency Identification Sonar (DIDSON) to monitor juvenile fish movement at floodgates. New Zealand Journal of Marine & Freshwater Research 35, 413-422.
- Young RG and Hay J 2011. Relationship between flow and dissolved oxygen in the Meadow Burn. Cawthron Report 1950. Prepared for Environment Southland. 13 pages.
- Olsen D, Maxwell I, Holmes R, Hay J, Allen C, Doehring KAM, Hayes JW and Young RG 2011. Assessment of the Amuri hydro project on the Waiau River, North Canterbury. Cawthron Report 2011. Prepared for Meridian Energy Ltd. 129 pages plus appendices.
- Young RG, Wilkinson J, Hay J and Hayes JW 2010. Movement and mortality of adult brown trout in the Motupiko River, New Zealand: effects of water temperature, flow and flooding. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 139(1): 137-146.
- Hay J 2010. Instream flow assessment for the Mataura River. Report 1757. Prepared for Environment Southland. 35 pages.
- Hay J 2010. Instream flow assessment options for Greater Wellington Regional Council. Report 1770. Prepared for Greater Wellington Regional Council. 53 pages.
- Hay J 2010. Fish screening advice for proposed Matiri hydro scheme. Cawthron Report 1814. Prepared for Department of Conservation. 9 pages.
- Hay J 2010. Flow requirements to maintain fish passage in the Whangaehu River and Tokiahuru Stream. Cawthron Report 1816. Prepared for Mighty River Power. 11 pages.
- Hayes JW, Olsen DA and Hay J 2010. The influence of natural variation in discharge on juvenile brown trout population dynamics in a nursery tributary of the Motueka River, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 44: 247-270.
- Hay J, Young RG and Strickland RR 2009. Aquatic ecology: Mitigation and management options associated with water storage in the proposed Lee Reservoir. Cawthron Report 1701. Prepared for Tonkin & Taylor Ltd on behalf of Waimea Water Augmentation Committee. 58 pages.
- Harding JS, Clapcott JE, Quinn JM, Hayes JW, Joy MK, Storey RG, Greig HS, Hay J, James T, Beech MA, Ozane R, Meredith AS and Boothroyd IKD 2009. Stream habitat assessment protocols for wadeable rivers and streams of New Zealand. University of Canterbury Press, Christchurch.
- Strickland RR and Hay J 2009. A discussion on fish passage issues and solutions for several hydro-electric development scenarios in the Matakitaki River. Cawthron Report 1562. Prepared for Tonkin & Taylor Ltd. 12 pages.
- Hay J 2009. Changes to some of Horizon's instream habitat datasets and recommended minimum flows. Cawthron Report 1601. Prepared for Horizons Regional Council. 5 pages.
- Hay J 2009. Effects of low flow on dwarf galaxias and their habitat in the Wairau River. DOC Research & Development Series 309. Department of Conservation, Wellington. 20 pages.
- Hay J 2009. Instream flow assessment for the Waiohine River. Cawthron Report 1649. Prepared for Greater Wellington Regional Council. 40 pages.
- Hay J and Strickland RR 2009. Potential fish passage options for a proposed hydro scheme on the Whangaehu River. Cawthron Report 1682. Prepared for Mighty River Power. 8 pages.
- Hay J, Kelly D and Holdaway RJ 2008. Causes and consequences of frequent flowering on edges in the mast-seeding genus Chionochloa (Poaceae) . New Zealand Journal of Ecology 32: 80-91.
- Quarterman A and Hay J 2008. A ground level survey for the proposed Moawhitu wetland restoration. Cawthron Report 1458. Prepared for Department of Conservation. 7 pages.
- Hay J 2008. Review of Hawke's Bay Regional Council's instream habitat modelling on the Lower Tukituki River. Cawthron Report 1524. Prepared for Hawke's Bay Regional Council. 21 pages.
- Shearer KA, Hay J and Hayes JW 2007. Invertebrate drift and trout growth potential in Didymo (Didymosphenia geminata) affected reaches of the Mararoa and Oreti Rivers: April and August 2006. Cawthron Report 1214. Prepared for Biosecurity New Zealand. 73 pages.
- Hay J and Young RG 2007. Instream habitat modelling and its application in the Motueka Catchment. Cawthron Report 1073. Prepared for Integrated Catchment Management for the Motueka River. 54 pages.
- Young RG and Hay J 2006. Flow management in Marlborough's small streams. Cawthron Report 1173. Prepared for Marlborough District Council. 24 pages.
- Hay J, Hayes JW and Young RG 2006. Water quality guidelines to protect trout fishery values. Cawthron Report 1205. Prepared for Horizons Regional Council. 17 pages.
- Hay J, Young RG and Strickland RR 2006. Issues and mitigation options associated with water storage in the Lee River. Cawthron Report 1223. Prepared for Waimea Water Augmentation Committee. 22 pages.
- Olsen DA, Hay J, Strickland RR and Hayes JW 2006. A review of the Arnold River hydro-electric power scheme assessment of environmental effects. Cawthron Report 1228. Prepared for the Department Of Conservation, West Coast, Tai Poutini Conservancy. 24 pages.
- Hay J and Young RG 2005. Instream habitat flow analysis for the Waimea River and provisional minimum flows for proposed dam sites in the Upper Wairoa and Lee catchments. Cawthron Report 1061. Prepared for Waimea Water Augmentation Committee. 24 pages plus appendices.
- Hay J and Young RG 2005. Review of biological data relating to the Waimea River catchment. Cawthron Report 996. Prepared for Waimea Water Augmentation Committee. 40 pages.
- Young RG, James T and Hay J 2005. State of surface water quality in Tasman District June 2005. Cawthron Report 933. Prepared for Tasman District Council. 69 pages plus appendices.